Friday, December 23, 2005

The real nemesis of Godzilla

Yesterday the Sci-Fi channel played what qualifies as the worst Godzilla movie I've ever seen, Godzilla vs. Hedorah. The plot boils down to how pollution has gotten so bad that it has spawned a sludge eating and smog drinking monster that is capable of transforming into different forms and goes around killing people. Godzilla is the great protector of the environment that evidently has gotten an advanced degree in monster killing electronics, because at the end of the movie he know exactly what the device that was designed to kill the Hedorah does even before they military used it. Yeah, that was sarcasm. I'm not implying that Godzilla isn't intelligent but that little point was stretching any sense of possible believability. I know that Godzilla doesn't exist and that any such large lizards aren't likely to exist but if you are willing to suspend disbelief long enough to allow for his existence then there should be limits, at least in my opinion.

Another thing that I didn't like is that the makers of this attempt at a Godzilla movie made it too cartoonish. They made Godzilla do stuff that I don't think a giant atomic bomb mutated lizard would do. In other words it seemed as if he acted too human. I could just be forgetting the way that he acted up in the movies that had been made up to the date that this movie was made but Godzilla giving the army guys a look that basically said "I can't believe that you were so stupid as to screw this up," among other things, just seems to stretch the credibility a tad. The movie really didn't seem to have any sense of flowing either. I've seen movies that had less of a sense of flowing that made more sense than this movie.

One more point, among the many, is that at the end of the movie when we thought that the Hedorah had been killed, it pulled a Phoenix. In other words it rose from the ashes and flew away. To which Godzilla looked at the ground and breathed a continuous stream of fire. In doing so he raised off the ground and used the stream of fire as a means of propelling himself through the air after the Hedorah. I mean really the only reason that I can think of why he hadn't done that before, or to my knowledge, since is that it cost too much energy to do on a regular basis.

|